FIRSTLY, hey there new friend!
My name is Emily. I am a happily newlywed, chocolate loving, puppy mama, photographer, contemporary pole dancer and self-proclaimed nerd. Woo! I am definitely one of those people who constantly has things on the go and love being my own boss. One day I dream of exploring the world and becoming a filmmaker. I pride myself on my ability to wear almost lip colour and my particular knack for finding awesome thrift store clothes.
I started my brand Emily Soti Photography about 8 months ago when I decided to dive in and pursue it full time. It's been a whirlwind already and I cannot wait to see how my business grows in 2017. I focus on Weddings & Engagement photography as well as Destination Weddings, but I also do some family, portrait and business photography on the side.
I picked up my first camera when I was a little girl around 4 years old. It was my father's Nikon (film of course) and every once in a while he would give me my own roll of film to practice with. I would take pictures of anything I could find around me which mostly consisted of flowers and rocks. Together we would go and get the film developed, critiquing and improving with each roll.
For my 16th birthday my boyfriend (now husband!) and dad pitched together to purchase me my first DSLR. Needless to say that's when things go serious. I am entirely self taught and have spent a great deal of time practising, educating myself, critiquing and improving my work. I strive for perfection with every image I create and deliver a high quality customer service experience. But enough about the business side, this post is about me!
To start, I thought I would share 10 Interesting things about myself. Some of them are awesome and other's are difficult to speak about. I strive for openness and integrity as business owner, so I want you to see the real me. I will be doing more "get to know" me blog posts in the future, but this should hold you over for now.
1. I am fuelled by sunshine and thrive in the spring+summer. ☀️This year especially I have been trying to take as much advantage of nice weather as I can. It's good for the soul!
2. I am a fairly private person and it's often hard for me to open up to others, even those close to me. (Even when I need help) It's a character flaw I am working on always and something I am hoping to improve. ✅
3. My favourite video game is #StardewValley and I play it for hours during my downtime. For those don't know what it is, it's 100% a game about farming. Hahaha 🌽🚜 I love it and get a lot of joy out of gaming and snuggling with my pups.
4. I started pole dancing over 3 years ago now and though I had a few breaks, it is the only fitness activity I have ever stuck with. I have no previous dance experience outside of dancing in my bedroom like nobody is watching. 💃🏻 Some of my pole goals are to learn a handstand + improve my flexibility.
5. 🐰My whole childhood I dreamed of owning a bunny as a pet until a few years ago when I learned I am allergic to rabbits 😞 #dreamcrushed
6. My favourite movie of all time is "Singin' in the Rain" ☂️ No movie puts a bigger smile on my face.
7. I have a super unhealthy relationship with food. To improve this is my single biggest personal goal. I have tried many things to correct myself but have realized that something like this takes time to heal. The meal prep I have been attempting recently has helped a lot with this. 🍏
8. When I dream, I dream big ✨ I have gigantic personal dreams such as becoming the youngest female director to win an Oscar (haha), being able to employ someone, flipping a house, live environmentally conscious, do inspirational speaking and life coaching, etc etc. The list goes on. (I may seem crazy, but I encourage you to dream big too!) ⛅️
9. The majority of my wardrobe is from the thrift store. I love buying second hand for several reasons including recycling, repurposing, it's economic and I can create a unique personal style with the pieces I find. 👗
10. I have a big interest in homesteading (a fancy term for being an awesome homeowner!). Water recycling, vegetable gardens, canning/persevering, handywork; it's all my jam. Pun fully intended. I am basically my grandmother reincarnated and I'm not mad about it 🏡
Do you relate to any of my -isms? I would love to hear it! Comment below with any thoughts or let me know what resonated with you.